Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Crossfit LI and Dan John inspired workout

Hope everyone has been doing good and hitting the weights hard! Personally I have been extremely busy getting to the gym early in the am and leaving late at night. That how it goes when half the trainers on staff leave! Luckily I love what I do or else I would prob wanna kill myself by now! On a lighter note I would like to congratulate my boy Brian Costello of Crossfit Long Island, or what I like to call Crossfit Coz. Coz has been busting his ass day in and day out and is finally getting rewarded. He has as many members after one month as he was hoping for after half a year! Crossfit Long Island was recently featured on crossfits main site CHECK IT OUT!!

Last Friday I went in and met with the orthopedic and he told me nothing I didn't know, I am going to need surgery on my knee. Unfortunately the Oswego Hospital is awful and gave me a CD with my MRI and X-Ray that didn't work! So now I am just waiting for the orthopedics Secretary to get in contact with the Hospital to verify I do indeed have a torn meniscus. I am beginning to feel that nothing ever goes smoothly in my life! Other then waiting on surgery everything else has been going great. I recently made the biggest sale in my gyms history which is pretty cool and training has been going great, other then the fact I can't work my legs. I hit a pretty tough workout yesterday and used today as more of a deload day. The workout I performed was a Dan John style workout and let me tell you, it was brutal. In Dan Johns book he spoke of many different methods of working out and one thing that really caught my eye was performing a basic barbell complex 6-8 times as your entire workout. Generally I perform complexes at the end of a workout 2x a week and only do 2-4 sets. Complexes are great for building muscular endurance, mental toughness, hitting your full body, and most of all shedding fat off your body! What a complex consists of is many lifts combined together without setting down the barbell/kettlebell. Here is what I performed today:
8 rounds, 60-90 sec rest, each exercise performed for 10 reps, I used 115lb barbell
Straight Leg Dead Lifts
Upright Row
Clean
Push Press
Good Mornings
This is 50 reps per complex so is a sh*t load of volume over a short period of time. Let me tell you this workout was tough. I am sitting at my house an hour later still sweating from it! Remember when performing complexes to swallow your pride and go lite! I have been doing these for quite sometime now and just recently moved my weight up from 95lbs to 115lb. Your better off going lite and completing more rounds of the complex then going to heavy and not being able to complete the entire routine, trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment