Sunday, February 28, 2010

Emotional Eating

















Hope everyone has been good, it’s been a little hectic for me the past week or two. I just got done watching the US vs. Canada gold metal hockey game, WOW! Both these teams left it all out there, unfortunately the wrong team won. On to the topic of today’s post, emotional eating. Consulting many new members at the gym as well as many of my clients I hear these two awful words way too often. Many things can lead to emotional eating; family deaths, breakups, personal issues, or even out of celebration are all different reasons I have heard people use for the binge emotional eating. I have been thinking about this for the past few days and this is the top 4 things I came up with for avoiding emotional eating!
1. Avoid Certain Triggers
It may be a certain song that reminds you off your Ex or even a certain food or drink. If you notice there are certain triggers you have for emotional eating STAY AWAY!
2. WORKOUT!
For me the best ending to a long emotionally draining day is an hour or two of sparring. There is nothing like kicking and getting kicked in the face to relieve some stress. If something makes me upset and I do not have that option I find myself banging out pull-ups, tossing around some kettlebells, or even going for a run. Increasing your endorphins will help bring you out of your funk!
3. Listen To Some Good Music!
Listening to specific songs only at specific times works great. I have lists of songs for running only, lifting only, as well as many other situations. By doing this no song will get played out and they will all continue to work at what you are utilizing them for.
4. Workout to Your Favorite Music!
Here is the best of both worlds. Combining #2 and #3 together is my top way to deal with stress, emotions, etc. Put your favorite play list on your ipod, go run for thirty minutes and avoid bad thoughts and I will guarantee you feel better after.

I hope the 4 tips listed above help you deal with your emotional eating. It’s funny because some of the fit people at my gym tell me the major reason they work out is because of stress. One Pro Bodybuilder actually told me that one time and I always get a laugh out of it. If stress is the reason he works out does he owe his pro card to stress?

No comments:

Post a Comment