Sunday, March 28, 2010

Kettlebell Talk

So as much as I love training with kettlebells there is many problems I run into when using these great tools with my clients. Doing only 30 min sessions at my gym I rarely have sufficient time to teach movements to clients and guarantee there form will be where I need it, Hell it took me 5 months and a specialized IKFF class to get the form correct on many movements. For this reason I limit many movements I do with my clients to Swing Variations, Squat Variations, and Kettlebell Complexes. Although this is plenty few of my clients perform more advanced movements such as the snatch. I just came across a nice article by Jim "Smitty" Smith of the diesal crew at www.dieselcrew.com discussing how to properly perform the kettlebell snatch. Read the information below then watch the video!
check out diesalcrew here!

From www.dieselcrew.com;

How to Do the Kettlebell Snatch Without Forearm Pain

Many people interested in strength and fitness are turning to kettlebells in order to accomplish their goals.

Unfortunately, many are also experiencing pain because of it.

It’s common for new kettlebell practitioners to develop serious pain in the back of their forearms due to improper form in the kettlebell snatch.

You see, to the eye of the beginner, when watching a more experienced athlete perform movements such as the kettlebell snatch, many think that at the top of the movement the kettlebell spins freely in the hand.

What this turns into when beginners try the movement is a ballistic pin wheel effect where the bell travels around their hand in a big circle and then crashes to a halt on the back of their forearm.

This intense pain is more than enough to frustrate a beginner and make them quit after just one workout.

And guess what – I was one of those beginners who misunderstood the technique when I started and walked around with a swollen and bruised forearm after first getting my hands on a kettlebell.

So, I am writing this post for all of those people who have felt this pain, and hopefully I will be able to prevent it for dozens if not hundreds more.

First off, it is important to understand that when performing kettlebell cleans and snatches, the bell’s spin is not focused around the center of the handle. The movement is actually centered more closely around the center of the bell itself.

In other words, at the top of the movement, you shouldn’t just let the handle spin in your hand and crash down, or else you’re in for pain.

Check out the video below. First, I show BAD snatch technique where the bell smashes my forearm and then I show PROPER technique directly afterwards.

DONT:

– Be passive with your arm
- Let the handle spin in your hand
- Let the bell crash on your forearm

DO:

– Be active by punching with your arm
- Make the bell spin on its natural axis in the middle of the bell
- Take your forearm to the bell

No comments:

Post a Comment