Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I have found a very common theme in my training of late. Since I am still fairly limited “Leg Workouts” is rehab made up mostly of Lunges, TKE, and Sled Pulls, all performed in the parking lot of my gym. Upper body days have a similar theme. I like to hit a Max Effort Upper Body Day and a Dynamic Day each week. Max Effort generally consists of a 1-3RM Pushing Movement and Pull Ups inside and then once again I move into the corner of the parking lot to finish my workout. I am guessing if my knee was 100% Max Effort Lower Body Days would consist of Squatting/ Dead lifting inside then moving to the corner of the parking lot. I know every time I am in the parking lot doing strongman training, sled pulls, ropes, kettlebells, and odd objects people are looking through the window thinking “what is this fool doing in that heat.” What they do not know is they are the ones who forced me out there for a REAL workout! Every minute I spend in the gym working out drains more and more energy out of me. The atmosphere is awful and the people training don’t know what they are doing.
I wrote an earlier article about the environment you train in and the importance of having a good lifting partner/group. I also spoke of the importance of getting rid of a bad lifting partner. Since I began working at my club over a year ago I have not found or even looked for a training partner and at times my workouts have suffered. This is why the atmosphere of the facility is crucial! There are sports training facilities all over the country but why will mine stand out from all the others in the area? Not only will every athlete be treating each lift like it is life or death but the atmosphere will blow you out of the water! Few people know the importance of training athletes in small groups and how it will spur the progress. These athletes are successful because they love to compete and will fuel off one another. A small percentage of athletes are cut out for this style of training and that is why they seem to be the successful ones. The atmosphere created is important but many of these athletes would be successful training anywhere! These top athletes are where they are not because who their training partners are, but because they know how to motivate within. You get a crew of 4-7 people who can all motivate themselves and your will turn out some dangerous athletes.
The other day we had four D1 athletes and one pro crushing some strongman/sled training in this same parking lot I have been working out at. By looking around this parking lot is as de-motivating of a place to workout as they come, yet whenever I get out there my workout turns up a notch. The way I am able to do this is by utilizing visualizations to motivate. Running Backs pulling sleds should be thinking about shedding a defender, Wrestlers doing lunges should be visualizing shooting a takedown, Lineman flipping tires should be thinking about delivering a blow to the opponent. These are all methods I teach my athletes to do so they place greater importance on the training and how it can benefit them. Once you get the kids to buy into, not only your program, but the importance of it, you will have a lifelong connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment