Monday, July 26, 2010

Homemade dip bar

I was down in Oswego last night and was bored so I decided it would be a great idea to build a dip bar out of pvc pipe. The gameplan was to make all the cuts at my parents and then build it at my apartment. A few minor adjustments must be made on it for support but I had my first workout with them tonight and they rocked! The past week or so I have been bumming and not training nearly enough. Later this week I will be meeting with the Syracuse Crunch orthopedic to check my knee out and see what is going on with it. Since I have been limited greatly in my training I have been getting frustrated. As corny as it may sound building the dip bar gave me something to be excited for and it showed during this workout. With limited space in my apartment I decided to "break the rules" a little a mix up my routines. Reading purposeful primitive recently Marty Gallagher talks about many old school powerlifters and bodybuilders and there different training styles. Some of these guys would hit one movement per workout and beat it to death. In todays day and age with personal trainers trying to prove they are worthy it is very common to see 10-20 exercises performed in a 30 min session at my gym, impressive I know. So many people are getting tied up in doing variations they forget what works the best, BASICS. Todays workout was short and to the point. After some soft tissue work with the pvc and lax ball I did a light warmup with my bodyweight and a resistance band. From there I hoped into a Ethan Reeve style High Density Workout.
For 20 min I performed sets of five of varies pushing movements. Rest periods consisted of band pull aparts and some ab work. I broke out the 24kg kettlebell and performed military press and snatches with that sucker. Dips, Push-Up, Hindu Pushups, Corkscrew Pushups, Hand Stand Push Ups, and many other variations were the exercises I performed throughout the workout. About 8 min in I wasnt feeling it but once I got into that zone the rest was history. As I approached the dip bar to perform a set of Dip to Leg Lifts the buzzer went off indicating the 20 min workout was over. Screw that I finished off with that final set of 5 and called it a day. This workout was short but my upper body is still feeling pumped up hours later and my hear was racing. That High Density training is no joke and a great way for me to still get my cardio in. Some may complain that 20 min of straight pushing movements is to much but who cares, you cant always play by the rules. Tomorrows Workout? 20 min of straight pulling movements at the park. Tons of body weight exercises are gunna be going down! Few people fully utilize there body weight for an unbelievable workout. If you arent efficient in moving your own body I can care less what your bench or squat is you wont be shit on the field. Don't know of any bodyweight exercises other then pushups, pullups, lunges, and squats? Dont you worry I will be changing that very soon for you...

A support peace in the middle along with 2 more Elitefts packages on the way and my home gym is continuing to grow with awesome tools!!

1 comment: